POD of ECWA Profile
Helping People to Help Themselves
POD OF ECWA envisions improved and sustained the living conditions of Nigeria communities.
To promote improved and sustainable living conditions, through effective community mobilization and capacity building of the underprivileged communities in Nigeria.
People Oriented Development of ECWA, POD of ECWA as it is been short formed and known by many, is one of the departments in ECWA that is church-based and non-governmental in nature and reaching communities with the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ by demonstrating God’s love partnership for sustainable development. POD motto is: “Helping people to help themselves”.
Prior to the formation of POD in 1989, ECWA Rural Development and ECWA Community Health Programme were ministering especially to the rural poor through the diffusion theory of innovation. By the mid-1980s a number of evaluations revealed that these two departments were not really meeting the numerous needs of these rural poor. this was due to the ineffectiveness of their strategy and the downturn of the Nigerian economy. These departments agreed to change their approach, which led to a series of re-orientation on community-based development. A decision to merge the Extension Section of ECWA Rural Development and the Preventive Health Care Unit of ECWA Community Health Programme was then taken to form POD in November 1989.
Local Church Empowerment For Community Transformation
Purpose/Key Objective of LCCT
The Church and Community Mobilization Process (CCMP) main purpose and the key objective is for “Empowering Church and Community (people) to wholistically transform their situation using God-given local resources.” The process is
- For people to deeply analyze their situation and desire to transform it.
- For people to take full responsibility to transform theri situation.
- For people to join hands and actually transform their situation
Key Phases/Stages of LCCT
Stage 1 – Awakening the Church
Objective: The local church understands and applies its biblical mandate for wholistic ministry to its immediate community and thus truly becomes “light and salt” to the community.
Envisioning the Church Leadership
- Leaders community to the integral mission.
- Leaders selecting target sites.
- Leaders selecting facilitating teams
Church Awakening – Equipping the facilitators and the local church:
- Training the team on church awakening
- Understanding the integral mission
- Skills to conduct bible studies
- Facilitation skills
- Conducting bible studies with the local church
- Facilitating the church to take action (critical one being to go out to build relationships with community).
Stage 2 – Church and Community Description
Objective: The church and community “read” into their reality and become motivated to want to change it.
Church and Community Description – Equipping the Team and the Church
Note: People are the best experts of their situation
- Train the team with skills to facilitate the church and community to describe the situation
- Facilitating the church to describe its situation
- Facilitating the community to describe its situation
- Facilitating the church and community to understand the general situation they are in (may decide to work together to address it).
Stage 3 – Information gathering
Objective: The church and community have accurate information that truly descrubes their situation to enable them to make informed decisions.
Information gathering – Equipping the team and the church
- Facilitate the church and community to determine the need for additional information.
- Facilitate the church and community to select teams of information gatherers.
- Facilitate teams to gather and compile the information gathered.
- Facilitate the church and community to valiudate the information
Stage 4 – Analysis
Objective: The church and community deeply understand their situation and are motivated positively and wholistically transform it.
Analysis – Equipping the team and the church
- Train the team with skills to facilitate the church and community to critically and deeply analyze their situation, and thus prepare to transform it.
- Facilitate church and community to analyze all the information compiled – get them to become “angry” about their situation so they will want to change it!
- Facilitate the church to make conclusions from analysis 0 thius will include indentifying the most feasible solutions to emerging issues.
- Facilitate the church and community to write the baseline from the analysis.
Stage 5 – Decision
Objective: The church and community make informed decisions that if implemented will cause transformation of their situation in a wholistic and God-honoring manner.
Decision – Equipping the team and the church
- Train the team with skills for decision making.
- Facilitate chuirch and community to reach informed decisions to transform ther own situation
- Desire to change
- Vision for the desired future (what change?)
- Priorities (where to begin?)
- Goals (what targets?)
- Action plans (what to do?)
- Indicators and
- Monitoring systems (tracking change)
- Structures to oversee implementation of the decisions
- Church and community take action to change their situation
POD OF ECWA MANAGMENT STAFF PROFILE
Rev. Dr. Ephraim Yoms
Director POD of ECWA
Dr. Ephraim Yoms, before his appointment as the Director, People Oriented Development of ECWA in January 2019 was a lecturer at ECWA Theological College Karu- Abuja. He is an indigene of Kaduna State, Jaba local Government, born in Sambam Daji, a pastor and a teacher by calling and also a specialist on Community Development.
Dr. Yom holds a BA theology from Igbaja ECWA theological Seminary, Post graduate Diploma in Theology with a special focus on community development. Masters in Practical Theology with special focus on People – centered Development and a Ph.D. Practical Theology with special focus on transformational Development all these other degrees were obtained from university of Stellenbosch in South Africa.
Ephraim Yoms interest lies in Christian Ministry, with special focus on human, community and nation building. He therefore seeks to grow daily in the knowledge of God’s word and be involved in reaching to people’s needs. He hopes that through this process he can put smile in the face of the hopeless and the marginalized in the society.
Mr. Andrew Bello
Mr. Joshua Kasai
Peace Building Officer
Rev. David Abidan
Mrs Salome Danjuma
Mr. Inusa Maikwori
Program Officer LCCT
POD OF ECWA BOARD MEMBERS
Team Member 1
Team Member 1
Team Member 1